Thursday, January 22, 2009

Deli Roll... ring



Buy a roll of frozen puff pastry dough. Defrost and cut off a piece. Roll out thinner and spread with your choice of condiments - I use a mix of mayo and yellow mustard (mostly because I can't easily find deli mustard) - the mayo is important as I find it keeps the mustard from drying out and disappearing completely. Other people use a mix of mustard and ketchup, or just ketchup, I made it once with BBQ sauce...

Anyway, then make rows of overlapping deli meat. I tend to buy the inexpensive turkey roll and salami. Feel free to use pastrami, roast beef... ham if you don't keep kosher (cheese too)...

So I make a row of turkey, then salami and alternate. When I roll it up, I make sure to roll it according to the same meat rows instead of the alternating rows. Otherwise when you slice it, you'll end up with mostly only turkey pieces and mostly only salami.

Now I used to simply bake it and it was quite tasty, but the dough inside was always undercooked or raw... so I made the above decorative deli ring by first making slices about 3/4 of the way through then arranging it like a ring and this way the middle gets cooked as well.

Bake at 350 degrees F until the dough is golden brown. (Feel free to do an egg wash beforehand).

1 comment:

Esser Agaroth said...

B”H

B"H

Pesky, I would like to send you some information about an upcoming edition of Haveil Havalim, but do not have any way of sending it to you. Please let me know how I can get you that information. I have already sent it out to around 40 bloggers in Israel, and do not want you to be left out. :-}

Thanks,
Ya’aqov