Thursday, July 27, 2006

Other Pursuits

Just so you don't think my entire life centers around my hatred for those who wish to destroy me and my family and my homeland, a brief interlude.

My husband and I are the cofounders of the Israeli group that participates in the Society for Creative Anachronism. Our Shire is Maale Giborim and we will be celebrating our third anniversary in November (Thanksgiving actually). We are part of the Kingdom of Drachenwald which if you don't want to head over to their site, encompasses Europe, the Middle East and South Africa. Our group here in Israel has a regular, active core group of about 15 people, and our biggest event had 30 people. It was our second birthday event, which was held in a Crusader-era hall in the Muslim Quarter of the Old City in Jerusalem.

I think our motto should be "Our event location kicks your event location's ass!"

Ok, maybe not.

We have semi-regular activities, which include fencing and crafts night. We hope to add archery soonish.

Lest you think that Orthodox Jews participating in something like this could only happen in Israel, think again. The Seneschal (I suppose head would define that) of the newly revived Shire in Brooklyn is an Orthodox Jew. Nice guy. We've met him and went to a Sunday event he and his Shire put together in May. The guy in charge of archery (called a Yeoman) for the Barony of Carolingia (a HUGE group in Boston) is a very nice 18 year old frum guy.

I know, because I met him 2 years ago. And his parents. At war. No, really. Pennsic War. Near Pittsburgh. My husband and I were honeymooning there. With my kids. And 12,000 other people. For 10 days.

We camped with a group that was mostly from the DC area. Most of the folks were either unaffiliated religiously. A few were pagans. And then us Jews. Seven of us from Israel and a family of three from DC. We had an Eruv around the camp, we explained to them about food, we asked for their assistance to make sure the port-o-potties had tissues in them over Shabbat after they were cleaned. It was really nice. And last year a large group of Jews camped together. Called themselves 'Clan MacIvri'. We hope to go again next year.

This year, we will actually have a representative at Pennsic who will participate in part of the actual battle. One of our memebers is learning in NY and recently qualified for fighting so she will wear our colors. So Vivat and best of luck to "
Zenigata Toshiko"!

2 comments:

Pierre Sogol said...

That...that is so wrong. so wrong it's right. SCA in Aretzenu. I applaud your chutzpah. Clan MacIvri?...the very idea almost brings tears to my eyes...please, lets talk.

fathersogol@hotmail.com

Lynette said...

The rest of Drachenwald misses you! (Including the Yidn) Stop by the Facebook group and say hello!