Thursday, March 05, 2009

Segulahs

There's a fine line IMO regarding Segulahs and Kamayas and Avodah Zarah. Unfortunately I know way too many people who put way too much importance in the 'power' of the Segulah and Kamaya yet they're so desperate for whatever they're wishing/praying for, they refuse to see it.

When I was pregnant with NS and we discovered he was breech at 32 weeks, I cannot tell you how many times I was told about 'the Segulah' about checking all my Seforim and making sure they were all 'right side up'. I was told a dozen times about a particular well somewhere outside of Jerusalem where, if my husband were to draw the waters and give me a cup to drink, that would turn the baby...

I checked the Seforim and made sure they were all facing the same way. I didn't drink any well water. I ended up with a c-section because he never turned.

So now I'm 38 weeks pregnant and I feel like I'm a million weeks pregnant :)

And there's a Segulah for a woman in her ninth month to go to the Mikvah and she should be Zocheh to have an easy, safe labor and delivery.

And then there's another Segulah for a woman who wants to conceive (or is having problems conceiving) to dunk right after a woman in her 9th month has immersed.

So I'm thinking of going on Sunday to the local Mikvah (which is just down the street)...

It's not that I believe or disbelieve in Segulahs (Kamayas are a different story). I just feel.. it can't hurt, right?

4 comments:

BrooklynWolf said...

At the very least, you'll be making someone else feel more at ease (the person trying to conceive who goes to the mikvah right after you). Even if it has no real material benefit, it will at least make her feel better.

Of course, you'll remember when this came up before, right? :)

The Wolf

Batya said...

They didn't have such things in my day. At least I never heard of it. Everything was so different. My two eldest were born in the old Shaare Tzedek Hospital. One labor/delivery room. We were curtained off from each other. No "guests" allowed. But at least there was medical care all the time. The midwives didn't leave us for a second... unless they were busy with other birthing mothers.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget to have the gabbai in shul give your husband "petichah" (opening the ark).

Pesky Settler said...

MII, he got psichah on Purim :)